Saturday, January 24, 2009

Recommendations.

Internet:
If you're at a loose end, I'd recommend checking out Jorge Garcia's blog.
(He plays Hurley in Lost, for those who don't know.)
I'm not a huge fan of the show - I lost interest in it about the end of Season 2 - but he's a funny guy, takes good photographs, and is an insanely talented pumpkin carver. What more could you want from a blog?

I'm sure I've touted it here before, but the BMI Project is really worth a look. I tend to revisit it when I feel that my half-buried eating disorders are kicking back in. Which means, duh, that's what's happening at the moment. I have been managing them relatively well over the last few years, although my self-image is terrible, but they're rearing their ugly little heads just now.
I suspect there're two factors contributing to this - 1) shortage of money means I have to think more about what to eat, therefore putting it first in my mind, and 2) my lower right wisdom tooth seems to be coming (further) in, making it a bit painful to eat. My sick little brain goes "Great! No eating = thinner!" *sigh*

ANYway...

Books:
I've been reading the Scavenger trilogy by K.J. Parker over the past three days. Whilst very good (if you like fantasy novels, which I do) it confuses the fuck out of me.
Is the protagonist a god? Is he the amnesiac? Or the monk? Or both? All three? Is his life a dream? Is the monk's life a dream? Is he a crow? Is he the general? Or the other general? Who knows? A lot of the 'scenes' are told more than once, with him seeming to be different people each time.
All those questions and more pop up in just the first book (they're not spoilers - it's all pretty straightforward in its confusingness).
It's a really good intellectual exercise, actually, and it's nice to read a fantasy novel that actually challenges the brain cells. I'm halfway through the second book, and I am looking forward to some answers soon. Pretty please?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:08 pm, Blogger Tru said...

I'm sure it's not going to make a huge difference, but I think you are a beautiful, wonderful person. One I miss very much.

 
At 9:36 pm, Blogger Shawna said...

Hope things get better on the money front soon, hon. *hugs*

I'm thinking I may go looking for those books. A challenge is always good! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home