Monday, February 27, 2006

Family Matters (or does it?)

I've just got back from dropping my cousin off at the station. She's been here since Thursday night. Here's some observations and anecdotes of my last 93 hours.

*We perhaps had left a little too little time to get to the train. So I worked out that I had about enough money left to get her a taxi. However, not enough to afford the call-out fee to get it to come to the house. So I grabbed her bag (which weighed about the same as I do) and carried it down to the junction to try and flag down a cab.

No taxi came.

No bus came.

We started heaving this damn bag up the hill. We managed to get a bus for one stop, just to save time, then I got to carry the bag up the rest of the hill myself. We got to the flat road to the station, and J. said "Oh look, the bag has wheels!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Silly me, assuming she'd have known whether it did or not. So I dragged this thing to the station, down the stairs, along the way, down some more stairs, then all the way along the platform. She was kind enough to lift it onto the train, though.

I can't raise my arms any more.
*sigh*

*A lot of the weekend was about shopping. We eventually accepted that we weren't going to agree on anything, fashion-wise. For example:
Me: A black hoodie with zips and striped bits, studded black cotton sleeve-things, black t-shirts with skulls on and black rubber bangles.
Her: A gold handbag, brown leather high heels, gold coloured jewellery with pink glittery bits and a gold belt.

She also said I looked like a man. Yay.

*She got really quite drunk last night. It was funny (mostly).
Best bits included:
(J.) "That's a logical anatomy. No. Wait. That's a logical anthology. Well, I know it's not biology. Anatomy, that's biology. It must be anthology. It's definitely an 'an' word..."

(Me, at home, as she started to fall over) "Don't crack your..."
*crash*
(Me, sighing) "...head"

I should also apologise to both Chuck and Chary. Sorry for letting her ramble at you, guys.

*After I dropped her off at the station, I was mooching along the road, and I suddenly realised I'd reverted to my teenage years. Big clumpy boots, stripy socks, cropped black pirate trousers, my *ahem* Pokemon t-shirt, a big armful of black rubber bangles... Big bag full of junk, and earphones in. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I realised I pretty much look the same as when I was 15 or 16.
Damn. When will I grow up?

10 Comments:

At 8:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sooo glad you had her instead of me!

 
At 11:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post, very funny, well, except for the part about your arms being sore.

And no need to apologize, putting up with her drunken rambling was a small price to pay for being to able to chat with you. Saying that though, it must be nice to have your home to yourselves again.

I had to laugh reading the last paragraph..Pokeman?? and picturing you at 15 or 16 was pretty fun too.

 
At 11:51 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Boo, how on earth did you let me convince you to wear hot pink pyjamas?

I can tell straight away that you and I have different fashion styles, but if you don't have a go at me, I promise not to have a go at you ;-)

I imagine that at 15 you looked somewhat similar to my older sister at the same age, although here they call them bogans. We still get goths, but the outfit you described sounded rather boganish.

 
At 12:02 am, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Boganish, eh?
I'm really hoping the Wikipedia article on that doesn't describe the way you meant it...

 
At 2:26 am, Blogger Charybdis said...

Hm, so this cousin of yours - is she single?

 
At 10:06 am, Blogger Nettie said...

Boo, I haven't bothered to look up the Wikipedia explanation but basically a bogan is someone who dresses in black clothes (which usually, but not always comprises of torn black jeans), wears dark makeup, lots of rubber bands on their arms (I believe the non-politically correct term is nigger bands but I digress), they like loud music, usually heavy metal like ACDC and they usually have a problem with authority! Keep in mind that my sister was a bogan in the early nineties so some aspects may have changed since then.

Overall, I'd describe a bogan as a goth with a checked shirt.

 
At 10:30 am, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.

Doesn't sound... a lot like me.
Some similarities, though.

And I thought you knew that I like the PJs.

 
At 10:10 am, Blogger Nettie said...

Maybe we should just forget that I mentioned anything at all...better yet, how bout you delete all my comments on this thread and I'll just shut my mouth in future:-)

 
At 10:33 am, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Ha!
I don't think we need to go that far, my dear!
:-)

 
At 3:33 pm, Blogger Charybdis said...

I seem to be posting invisibly because nobody ever responds to my comments, damnit. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home