Monday, January 30, 2006

Three things...

...that I learned whilst going to the shop for potting compost.

1. Regarding the posh blonde girl giving me evil looks all round the shop:

1a) if she's the sort of person who slaps down a £20 note whilst the girl at the till is ringing up her multiple small purchases which add up to about £2, and

1b) sneers at the girl when she didn't notice the money due to her having been busy bagging all the crap, then I don't care that she gave me dirty looks, because I look down on her.

2. People stuck at traffic lights in their cars get weirded out when you properly look at them.

3. (slightly connected to 2) People don't make eye contact or smile. There's several places between the shop and my house where I had to hoist my bags up to avoid bumping people. I smiled. I tried to make eye contact. Nothing. I'd at least smile and say thanks if someone did that for me. I guess I'm still a small-town girl.

5 Comments:

At 7:57 pm, Blogger Charybdis said...

People in cars get weirded out because they can't pick their noses with you staring at them.

 
At 12:05 am, Blogger Nettie said...

People can be just downright rude love. If I'm walking my dogs or at the park with the kids and someone walks past, I always smile and say hello. And if people move over so I can get through the aisle with my shopping trolley, I always say thankyou. But hardly anyone does it when the roles are reversed.

 
At 5:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always look people in the eyes. It seems to make a lot of them nervous, though. Although there was the girl tonight who instead blushed and stared intently at her navel and walked into a lamp post and fell into a bush instead. Oh well.

 
At 12:00 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Did she really Acci, or are you telling fibs?

 
At 10:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acci fibbing? nooo :)

anyways, not much to add to what's been said so far though coming from Los Angeles I just kinda assumed everyone was rude as pretty much everyone in L.A. is and I was slightly taken aback by people saying hello, good morning etc. as I walk around certain areas of my new home state.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home