Friday, August 05, 2005

A-ranting we will go...

Why? Why do people not think about what they are saying?

I mean, I'm as guilty of that as anyone (Classic example: "Is it still incest if they're dead?"), but I'm talking about normal, everyday phrases.

Example one: In a meeting today, "He's literally up to his eyeballs in work."
No, NO HE IS NOT! He may be literally very busy, but the Council has very stringent Health and Safety rules, and someone smothering in paperwork would probably be forced to phone the counselling line, then fired.

Example 2: This, I have noticed, tends to be used mainly by Americans. "I could care less." COULDN'T! The whole point of this phrase is that you care the least amount possible! Ooh, it's frustrating.

I apologise for the brevity of this post, but I worked out what I wanted to write about at the above-mentioned meeting, then left my notebook at work.
Updates from the BDP (with all-new pictures), and random ramblings, will be posted tomorrow night (if my poker night (YAY!) doesn't go on too late), or on Sunday, as I should be able to drop by work and pick up my notes.

7 Comments:

At 10:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could he have been "literally up to his eyeballs in work" because he was in his office napping with his face on his desk? His eyeballs could then have been actually on level with his paperwork. Whoever was speaking might not have wanted to say, "Oh, he's too busy passed out drooling on his desk right now".

And good luck at poker night! Try not to scratch people too badly!

 
At 9:52 am, Blogger SatTrackCam Leiden said...

If he would be extremely myopic, he could easily be up to his eyeball in his work too. In that case, a forced visit to an optician would be better than forced councelling

LaMa - aka Cospar 4352

 
At 8:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment I hate is

'Cheap at half the price'

Well of course it'd be cheap at half the price, doesn't make it cheap now.

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, yes, orange turnip, that one bugs me.

The best use of the 'literally' one I ever heard was a footballer playing in a match who was 'literally on fire'.

 
At 3:33 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember, Snowy. I think I just buggered it up.

 
At 1:26 am, Blogger RACL said...

Also what's nice is when people say "in a word," or "there's only one word for that," and then go on to speak an entire paragraph.
OH!!!Thank Bog for the internet! I am now actually in contact with people who understand the phrase "football hooligans!" HURRAH!!!! *Throws Anglophile confetti in random directions.*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home