Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Roses and woes.

Ok.
First things first.
I hate the festival. I hate the crowds; I hate the thousands of crappy drama–student-run ‘plays’. I hate the jacking up of prices. I hate those bloody plastic rain ponchos. That being said, I don’t think this should stop me from taking advantage of the (very, very) few good things that happen around here at this time of year. Get it? Got it? Good.

So yes, this weekend I’ve been quite a busy girl. Friday night I went out drinking with Matt and my mate Colin.

Spent a lot of time with Mouse and her husband over the rest of the weekend.

Saturday I read a lot, went out for lunch, had a nap, then went out to see Dark North (“A television psychic discovers that sometimes the dead and gone really ought to stay that way...”). I really enjoyed it, actually. Nice and dark. Everyone gasped at the point the ‘psychic’ got thrown across the room, except me. I let out a small, inadvertent, ‘Yay!’ I swear I didn’t mean to. It just happened. Anyway, it was absorbing, and added a new in-joke to my vocabulary.

Sunday we went up to the Meadows for Fringe Sunday. I don’t really like it – I get really jumpy in crowds. So we had a picnic and then I was all set to go home again. Until we happened upon the Space Cowboy (who was dressed neither like a spaceman nor a cowboy), who was pretty good. Sword swallowing, juggling three dangerous implements (a fire stick, a sickle and a machete) whilst on a three-metre unicycle (Or, as he said, the suicycle) blindfolded… Yeah, he was good.

Then dinner at ours, and on to Circus Immortal, which was amazing. Half stunts, half acting, it was like nothing I've ever seen before. I was too in awe, too open-mouthed and wide-eyed, too Alice-Through-The-Looking-Glass-ish to applaud.

I've had a fever since Saturday morning (which totally added to the surreality), and all my glands hurt. And, of course, I got my notice on Friday. I hate applying for jobs, and I'm shit at interviews. So yay.

2 Comments:

At 1:47 pm, Blogger oppiejoe said...

Sounds like you made the best of a "bad" situation (festival) and had a good time to boot.

Hope the fever breaks soon and you find something worthy of your abilities workwise.

 
At 11:23 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Yup, I agree, it's good to see you trying to keep your spirits up.
I'm crap at interviews too (I just find it hard to sell myself) so I sympathise. You'll do fine though love.
*hugs*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home