Friday, July 28, 2006

200 million years, and not a loo in sight.

Sorry for the last post. Whilst it may have been truthful, it wasn't the exciting, fascinating extravaganza you're all used to.

Wait, no, that would be if I were Mimi, or Julia, or Alice.
Or any one of a number of others (Damn, I'm showing my bias. I try to only do that on webcam).
It was still non-cheery. Again, sorry about that.

Anyway, failing fascinating, here's just some stuff. As ever.

This makes me giggle hysterically.
Nyeh, kinda.

I bought a ring yesterday. It's an ammonite which has been plated round the edge with silver. It's beautiful.

I was told by the cheery Aussie girl on the stall that it's an ammonite from Morocco, and is around 200 million years old.

I don't know how much truth is in that - I know it's an ammonite, but I don't know it's from Morocco, and I haven't yet put enough effort into finding out how old ammonites should be.

The sad thing is, I was walking home from work with Matt, and said something about ammonites disapproving of us young 'uns, and how they'd not like anyone under 200 million years old...

So every now and then, I'll just casually mention how everyone under 200 million years old ought to be herded off cliffs, and Matt tells the ammonite to stop taking me over and go back in the ring*.

*Cue childish sniggering.

Everyone else does this sort of thing, right? Right?

10 Comments:

At 3:29 pm, Blogger Charybdis said...

I don't ever do anything of the sort. You should seek professional help.

 
At 4:18 pm, Blogger oppiejoe said...

lots of random and interesting thoughts... sounds normal to me... :)

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger Amy said...

I started childlishy giggling too.

 
At 2:27 am, Blogger Nettie said...

'This page cannot be displayed' made you giggle childishly???

Just kidding, but I think you're link is closed now.

 
At 6:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, both links are dead for me, too.

As for the ammonite thing, I agree with Mort...nod, smile, back away! ;-)

 
At 6:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh...wait - both links doubled up on the http// business...although partiallyclips.com still isn't working.

 
At 6:34 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

I fixed the links, but partiallyclips.com does appear to be down at the moment. Thanks, dudes!

 
At 2:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, 200 million years ago would have been the Triassic era, and I know that ammonites were quite common then (they didn't die out until the end of the Cretaceous about 65 m.y.a, along with the dinosaurs and all those other beasties. I'm not sure when they first appeared, although I'm pretty sure that it was on a Tuesday shortly before tea time). And I remember north Africa having piles of these fossils just sitting around in the sand and gravel. So it's likely true enough.

 
At 3:14 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, nerdy guy.
:-)

See, I always knew nerds were cool!

 
At 6:32 pm, Blogger Amy said...

I was laughing at
"and Matt tells the ammonite to stop taking me over and go back in the ring*."

Yes, yes, I'm pretty sad....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home