Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Blibblibblibble. Indeed.

*It was nice of my friend at work to try to find me an umbrella when I was leaving work, it was raining, and I had no coat or umbrella. However, the umbrella he brought out was about the size of a two-man tent, every time the wind blew it nearly lifted me off my feet, and it kept collapsing painfully on my head.
So, A., next time I say that it's fine and I'll just get wet instead, just let me, rather than forcing my crappy middle-class-guilt to accept the huge flying tent of death. But it was a really nice thought.

*So... who wouldn't want a sushi necklace? Or a soda can bracelet? Or a neon junk food necklace? Not me. I love these things with a passion... and they ship to the UK! Yes!
Although, I just went to see how much all the stuff I liked cost - $65.93 plus $12.99 postage and packaging. Yeesh. That's nearly 43 quid.

*I actually found a way to enjoy Big Brother! Well, the American version at least. There's a website named Television Without Pity, which has some excellent recapping of rather a large number of TV shows (Check out the Dr Who ones.) I was bored, so I started reading their BB ones. I'm now onto the third series. These people, with their sarcasm and humour, fleeting affections and pinpointed snark, have made the show interesting!

I found this interesting (and so true!). They are talking about a girl who really likes a guy, despite the fact he's mean to her.

People who don't think very much of themselves don't really expect people to like them for who they are, and they don't trust anyone who does. So they hope to find people who don't actually think very much of them either, but like them anyway. People with crappy self-images are incredibly vulnerable to this particular line of bull -- "Oh, you're such a fuck-up, but I still love you." It still allows them to consider themselves fuck-ups, which keeps them within their comfort zone, while offering a weird sort of positive feedback, which they also want. Furthermore, most people's great fear is that no one really knows or understands them, and so if you think you suck, someone who also thinks you essentially suck but is still willing to be your friend has a certain unavoidable appeal -- he might not like you, but at least he gets you. Once you figure it out, you notice it's incredibly insulting, because it's basically someone telling you that they, in their overwhelming generosity, will forgive you for who you are.

I know people like both of those...

*Here's a couple of blurry pictures of Hastings. Bask in her loveliness!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

7 Comments:

At 6:44 pm, Blogger Mouse said...

Yesterday, while I was coming back from work, the wind caught my umbrella and blew it backwards, catching my cigarette, flicking it over and making it burn the base of my index finger right beside my knuckle. I think that takes a special sort of talent.
*sigh*

 
At 10:55 pm, Blogger Charybdis said...

Well, you sure got me pegged. :P

 
At 11:14 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Mouse, I think there's a strong anti-smoking message there in your comment - you just have to see it! ;-P

For a pink and white blur, Hastings is real cute!

 
At 2:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeeeek! A rat!!!

*hops up on a table and refuses to come back down again*

 
At 2:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...cute rat! And I think I may need a new umbrella. I've got one which I flicked one too many times, so it won't stay up, and another which was a light-weight one and is now all bent out of shape.

 
At 6:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, Smerk, I can't imagine anything having trouble staying up when you're holding it. . .

I only have one umbrella, and it's a gargantuan industrial-strength monstrosity that you could beat a dire-wolf to death with. I've only used it two or three times, so I don't really know how it fares in rough weather. Maybe I'll take it out during one of the hurricanes and see if I can land in Edinburgh.

And Kate the Hamster sends greetings to her rodenty kin.

 
At 10:30 pm, Blogger LaMa said...

in our Dutch PhD defense, we also have to issue 3 non-research related statements to defend.

One of my 3 was:

"Taking umbrellas into public transport should be forbidden"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home