Friday, April 28, 2006

Zen Graffiti

I have been having a think about graffiti.

Not the art kind (which has a purpose) or band names or whatever as 'advertisements' (see Alleschwindel), or even funny phrases (see Plankton!). After all, I'd have about half as many photos in this silly little webpage if it weren't for them.

The ones I wonder about are the more prosaic ones. The 'I was ere' and its equivalents. Just... why? I mean, what's the point of scratching your name and the date into a wall, or biro-ing it on a door?

Inherent need to prove your own existence? To make a difference? To be noticed for something? To show that you do have the power to change your physical surroundings, albeit in a infinitesimal way?

Considering the type to do this form of graffiti, I'd say low self-esteem and lack of self-worth might factor in there somewhere.

Or am I just putting way too much thought into this?

5 Comments:

At 2:07 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

There was some graffiti on the back of the loo door at the shopping centre I used to work at that said 'My brother Simon is gay' which was followed by half a door of social debate including 'As long as he's happy, that's all that matters' and 'You should accept him for who he is'. I couldn't believe it as I watched it grow week after week. This girl didn't need to go to a therapist - she had the toilet door for help.

 
At 2:48 pm, Blogger LaMa said...

I agree.

Plus it can be something like creating your own environment, defining your social territory. Much like dogs pee agains walls and trees to flag ther territories.

Hmm, why is my word verification "rsexeec"?

 
At 2:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A week or so ago I put our band web address on an Etch-A-Sketch in Asda in Livingston, does that count? (A girl emailed us saying she found it, and like "a true stalker/detective" (her words), she followed it up, and said she enjoyed our songs!)

 
At 9:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll tell you 1 reason why people make graffiti...For the very reason you do what you do on your blog. To say i am here now. And yeah sure, a few of us express it in an artistic way and some in an offensive, in your face ugly way.
But is your way the right way? Is it ok for me to make a law that says your blog is banned and you can not say or post anything you want, when and wherever you want ?
The powers that be may be trying to control that, just like our streets and ultimately the world. Novus Ordo Mundi. They dont want us expressing ourselves anywhere, unless it involves revenue and or continues there inlaid structure.
Open your eyes to things. Dont be another sheep being told what to do, think see, fell, taste or f'in buy.
I'll leave it at that man...your on your own .

 
At 8:14 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Ummm... I like graffiti. That's why I collect the photos and put them on here. I've never said that it should be banned, either (I think that it makes the world richer).
You appear to have mistaken me for someone else - someone who has utterly different views.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home