Sunday, February 27, 2011

Der spring is sprung, der grass is riz.

So, after the bubble was back all week, I'm feeling a lot better now. Thankfully.
I guess I'm lucky in a way - my depression has lessened a lot over the last few years, and I seldom feel that bad any more.

I was talking to Nettie the other day, and I said that, whilst I was planning on mentioning the d-word in this week's post, I wasn't intending to write solely about it. Because... well, to address the depression directly, and to put it in words from Labyrinth:
"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom as great. You have no power over me."
So, on that note - onwards!

Real psychics: Criminal profiling and the F.B.I. A fascinating read.

On Saturday, we didn't do much - we just did some grocery shopping and popped down to Portobello to go to the butcher. All their meat is amazing, but I have discovered my new favourite type of sausage (pause for childish sniggering), Pork and Lanark Blue. My parents came round for dinner, and to watch the rugby, and to play Disappointing Mr Woods (AKA: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008 on the Wii). I made a slightly experimental dinner of pasta with creme fraiche, Casalingo Piccante sausage, chicken breast, mushroom and leek. It seemed to be highly popular.

Today we actually, finally, went to the exhibitions we have been meaning to visit for weeks. The Young Vermeer was very interesting, even though it was only three paintings. His use of light is fascinating to me. The Jean-Marc Bustamante one was... well, not really to my taste, although I could see where he was coming from in terms of his themes.

I think this might be my favourite restaurant sign of all time, and I had to get a picture of it before someone buys the premises and rips it down.
Fear the... STEAKBURGERMASTER!

Ok, this is just odd. Whatever shop or cafe or whatever that used to be here closed down. And now there is a raggedy door that looks like it was hacked through the security shutters. I realise it's not very clear, but all there is inside are cardboard boxes and big industrial wholesale bags of bread rolls. Some secret sandwich-making cabal, maybe?

Matt 1) is interested in the sweet shop

and 2) ain't afraid of no ghost.

*does air quotes*
For "cash".

I asked Matt to take a photo of me. He took a photo of my legs.

Maybe it's Spring. Maybe. Hopefully.
It seems like it's been a long winter.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:25 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Steakburgermaster is one of the places you pass whilst on the bus, isn't it? I'm sure I remember making fun of the sign...

Nice legs, as always ;-)

I wish I could have been there :(

 
At 1:39 am, Blogger Acci said...

Woohoo, legz! ;-)

Yeah, Vermeer's way of using light and shadow in his paintings is probably the main thing that struck me about his work. I think it's one of the things that really makes his paintings distinctive. While so many other painters tend to have the light coming from somewhere behind the viewer, Vermeer always seems to be having it come from the side somewhere. It gives his work so much more appearance of depth. Plus I suppose it makes it look a bit more like early day or late evening, which photographers always seem to feel is a sort of "magic hour" when the lighting somehow touches people's emotions more.

Heh, and I wish that I'd taken a photo of the sign that one of the local restaurants had out for a while. Basically, it was like this:

COME TRY OUR "NEW MENU"! NOW SERVING "BEER" AND "WINE"!

 
At 10:40 am, Blogger Shawna said...

Love the air quotes! Kind of makes you afraid to ask what things *really* are, though...lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home