Wednesday, December 06, 2006

So, I went to see the doctor...

Ok. So I went to the doctor. We talked for about half an hour, and I did some test thing. It appears I have 'moderate to high' levels of both depression and anxiety. The doctor said that he wasn't going to put me on anti-depressants, as he thought a process called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy might help more. I don't know much about CBT. I'm hardly leaping for joy about any sort of therapy. Has anyone had any experience with CBT?

He said it may be the case that medication and therapy together might help. Thing is, I'm definitely not going to get the CBT until the New Year and, although he suggested St John's Wort might help (although case studies seem highly varied to me...) he doesn't want me trying that until after I've seen him in a fortnight. At least.

So I'll just have to wait, I guess.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 5:09 pm, Blogger LaMa said...

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is what I have been getting - I can strongly recommend it. Make sure you get a good, experienced therapist(i.e. a psychotherapist with experience with his particular technique, as opposed to "just" a therapist).

It's a rather "rational", analytic way of therapy. It's also one the success rate of which is backed by more than one clinical trial.

It has helped me, if that helps you too know.

 
At 9:49 am, Blogger Nettie said...

I guess it's all just going to take time love, so don't stress if it's not all in motion immediately.

And it's good that he thinks there's a way that can help that won't neccessarily involve meds. I hate doctors who think a pill can cure everything.

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger LaMa said...

Want to ad that I completely agree with Nettie.

It indeed will take some time. Part of the therapy is learning a technique to map your thought trains, and then manipulate them. It takes some effort to learn that.

 
At 11:09 am, Blogger Amy said...

The doc saisd one of the possibilities was to have the cbt thing to see if it was something to do with emotions etc that cause me to faint. Didnt really understand it but dunno whats gonna happen with it now. He mentioned it once but hasnt done anything about it sowho knows. I think it sounds pretty good though, just maybe not for my particular thing. You've probably looked at this but I found the wiki link useful when he mentioned it to me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behaviour_therapy

 
At 8:04 pm, Blogger oppiejoe said...

Sometimes all it really takes is someone to listen and help you understand where you are and help you to get where you want to be...

I hope you get there soon sweetie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home