Thursday, September 15, 2005

Thinking about Pharoahs

Now, again, no pictures from the BDP. I know. I’m sorry. I suck.
However, there is news.
Over the last couple of days there’s been random Dead Pigeons in the road when I am on my way to work. They don’t appear fresh, but rather squishy and grey. When I return from work, there are no Dead Pigeons, and no sign that they’ve ever been there. It clearly isn’t due to road sweeping or suchlike, as other bits and bobs under the Bridge are undisturbed. What does this mean? Are they hiding the evidence, or am I hallucinating Dead Pigeons?
And, in other news, the spirals are back. But only in a small patch under one end of the bridge.
Here's a question... What do you think the Pigeons were doing with 14 palettes of concrete blocks? Maybe they're building a new bridge. Hmmm.

Non-BDP stuff! Feel free to stop reading at this point.

I like so-called 'mommy blogs'. They rarely make me feel broody, but some of the writing's fantastic. Mimi Smartypants reminds me a lot of me, in some ways, and I picked up her book second-hand, and absolutely (but not literally) devoured it. Then I wanted more. Finslippy was next. Then Julia. Then Laid-Off Dad. (I guess that's a 'daddy blog'...) I wonder why people look down on parenting blogs. I bet they'd look a lot further down on mine. These people are funny and interesting, and that's why I like to read about what's going on in their lives. So screw you, blog snobs!

I was in Glasgow yesterday for work, and I managed to sneak off for a bit to go to my favourite big art shop. I got markers and exciting new papers, and sketchbooks (O, how I love sketchbooks!) I also got a postcard, which just appealed to me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When I got it home, I turned it over, and found it was by the same woman (Stella Marrs) as my ‘fond of books’ postcard I posted earlier. Who’d have thought, eh? Mind you, they’re quite similar in style, so I suppose people more observant than me might’ve. Oh well. Anyway, this is her website.
And I may or may not have just gone there and ordered a few more of them.
*looks innocent*

And this monstrosity of a ring was from the nice new ‘alternative’ clothing shop that’s opened up right next to the art shop. Staffed entirely by little folk. That's teenagers, not leprechauns, by the way.
I didn’t get a close-up look at it before I bought it, and when I noticed, it was too late to go and demand my money back.
Now, everybody play spot-the-flaw-that-enraged-me. Go on, you know you want to.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

11 Comments:

At 12:40 am, Blogger RACL said...

I thought it might be that artist. I like her work a lot. Tell me, do you prefer 6B or 4B pencils for shading? And what do you think of Warhol?

 
At 3:52 pm, Blogger RACL said...

And you do know that it isn't necessarrily an either/or situation. Think of Sid and Nancy! (Except he didn't kill her. LIES!!!)

 
At 4:44 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

I tend to work in pens, actually, unless I'm using watercolour or coloured pencils. I don't tend to do a lot of shading, but when I do I use either the 6B or as hard as I can get, depending on the level of hatching I'm doing, and the mood of the drawing.
And I like Warhol, but in quite a superficial manner - I find his stuff aesthetically pleasing but I don't find a lot of meaning in it.

 
At 6:55 pm, Blogger RACL said...

That's the point, there IS no meaning. I like to shade possibly too much (this would account for the high levels of fingerprint smudgemarks in my margins)but actually I usually use my mechanical pencils. However my truly cool art teacher has turned me on to the wonder that is HB so I think I'll go with that.

 
At 7:14 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, though, you wouldn't believe the level of pretentious twaddle I had to put up with, regarding Warhol, when I was at art college.

Compartmentalising popular culture...blah blah...the essential two-dimensionality of fame...blah blah...

I got very good at the nodding and smiling and backing away.

 
At 2:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the ring: there's an apostrophe ( ' ) missing in "Ill"

 
At 2:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like either 2B or 4B to draw with.

 
At 7:27 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Yay! LaMa, since you're the first to answer (although not the first to know), you get... ummm... a virtual chocolate biscuit.
Well done you.

 
At 3:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2B or not 2B. . .

 
At 5:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep Acci, often I have pondered that question....

And B...Hieronymus: I was thinking a virtual or perhaps not so virtual...eh...get yourself a webcam, will ya?!

 
At 10:50 pm, Blogger RACL said...

You know, sometimes the amount of overanalysis people put into things amazes me.Tolkein got so fed up with the whole "LOTR is really WWII" theory that he wrote a special essay saying "Look, you fools, it's a STORY!!!" Warhol's point was that he had no point.He wasn't into compartmentalizing anything!!! grrr...
Also what's funny is that Joe Strummer and Mick Jones went to Art College because they thought that was where you met bands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home