Saturday, March 20, 2010

Style Guru.

I have been wondering recently about style. Style as a concept in and of itself, rather than as fashion, or as a way of fitting in.
Friday, it having been dress down day at work, I wore the outfit below. It's not that dissimilar to my usual outfits, except that I wore my much-beloved hat, and also I wore a t-shirt/dress with skellingtons on.
Oh, and I had to crop the picture, because I got Matt to take this in the evening, I'd taken off my shoes, and I thought that my mismatched socks (one bright pink with owls on, the other stripy red and black with a skull on) didn't quite suit the outfit as my big buckly New Rock boots did.

I got a lot of comments. Some were in the "Why are you wearing a hat?" or "You're a freak." sort of arena, but mostly they were "Your hat is great!" or "Love the look!" or "You have such a sense of style!"

Now, I don't think I do have a sense of style. I suspect that would involve thinking more about what I wear, and perhaps deliberately wearing items that 'go together'. All I do is wear what I like. And judging by the reactions I garner, what I like is somewhat unusual. *shrugs*

Today's outfit (please excuse the squinting - it was taken shortly after I got out of bed, plus I had no glasses on):

Those are my new and adored purple leopard-print tights.

Anyway, what's your opinion of style? Is it inextricably linked to fashion, either popular or not? Is it a reflection of personality? Or is it just a matter of wearing what you love?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 8:55 pm, Blogger Shawna said...

I think it's a reflection of personality, in that you tend to wear things you love. I also think it tends to show what type of mood you're in.

Either way, I love the outfits you put together--they're fun and quirky!

 
At 2:16 am, Blogger Nettie said...

I agree with Shawna, style is about what you like to wear and not necessarly about what is fashionable at the time. Obviously some people's sense of style will reflect the latest fashions since that's what they enjoy wearing, but for others it's just about what they like.

I have a very eclectic sense of style I think. I love pretty things and so some days I'll wear my spiderweb stockings with Mary Janes, a skirt and a satin blouse, other days I'll get around in jeans and a tshirt but then the next day I'll be in a business type shirt with cargos. I have a heap of dresses in all different styles plus a ton of hats and I'm really getting into scarves and gloves when it's colder. I would challenge anyone to box my style of style into any one catagory! lol

As long as what you wear makes you feel good, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. But personally, I *love* your sense of style!

 
At 11:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the gray makes it look depressing and yu look like your trying to be punk but your not quite there.

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger Nettie said...

I think 'Anonymous' is a complete fucking wanker who likes to post nasty shit on random people's blogs because they have no friends and have to do something to occupy their lonely, lonely existence.
May I suggest a spelling and punctuation class as an alternative?

 
At 6:42 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

I love how they've missed the whole point of my post entirely - that I'm not 'trying to be' anything. Plus... punk? Really? They clearly have no idea of what 'punk' looks like.
:lol:

 
At 10:24 pm, Blogger Mel said...

I do believe you have a sense of style(and I love your outfit). At least where I live, most people dress the same -polos, tanks, jeans, moccasins , or flip flops.

It's amazing that you're trying to be yourself and not conforming. Ignore the mean comments, those people most likely don't know what they're talking about.

I used to get the "goth" comments all the time; and I really don't think the kids that called me that even knew what it meant.


As for sense of style itself, I do agree with Nettie. It means wearing what you like, not necessarily what's fashionable. I also think it means pairing things up that go well with each other though.

As for my style, I'm a denim person. Denim matched with a top of a dark shade accompanied with boots or heels.

 
At 3:01 am, Blogger Maegan said...

Obviously...shopping as I do for myself at fairly mainstream arenas, I figure most anything I buy is usually "in fashion" at some point. I am a jeans & t-shirt kind of girl and if I need to dress up, I pull out the jewelry and the high heels. I have a few skirts...but they're in the "after diet" storage bin. ;) Jocelynn tells me all the time, "Jeans aren't fashionable." She likes leggings & tights. Under EVERYTHING. I do admire things at time...but know I'd never buy/wear it. For various reasons...its too fussy, too expensive, too hard to launder, wouldn't match whats already in the closet, etc. I usually clothing shop on a "just irreversably damaged the last pair and must replace" basis.

 
At 8:27 pm, Blogger Acci said...

Hmmm. . .I suppose that I'd define "fashion" as what is popular at a certain time and place, while "style" is what sort of things you wear and how you wear them. I haven't a clue as to how what you wear fits into current fashion where you are, but you certainly have your own style (which seems to suit you quite well). You look quite pretty and charismatic without blending in to the common herd.

I never really dressed according to fashion, seeing as how I traveled around too much and also I often wore various uniforms (uniforms being by default always in fashion until regulations change), so I basically ended up with a style of clothing suited for various tasks rather than clothing suited for various looks. So while I'm never really dressed in fashion, I'm apparently never really dressed out of fashion, either.

And I am broken-hearted that I didn't get to see your mismatched socks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home