Sunday, February 07, 2010

Ikea! *mimes guitar solo*

We come from the lands of snow and ice
and gods of war and thunder
With a swing of an oar we would reach your shore
and pillage, rob and plunder
We are ravagers of women, and capturers of kings
but now we're friends we make amends
and fill your homes with lots of gorgeous things

IKEA
We'll get your houses looking sleek and modern, that's for sure
IKEA
We are conquering the world with our self-assembly, flat-packed furniture

You can maximise your living space and brighten up your walls
or just have a cup of coffee and perhaps some nice meatballs
And if you haven't killed each other by the time you get to pay
perhaps you'd like to know who made us what we are today

Our boss is Ingvar Kamprad, he takes his vodka straight
He's been our fearless leader since 1958
If we can follow all of the instructions he will give
Then all the world will have the little things to build a better place to live

IKEA
Our CEO's a legendary Viking entrepeneur
IKEA
We are conquering the world with our self-assembly, flat-packed furniture
IKEA


Please consider the Mitch Benn song above as being the theme tune for today's post.
So... the in-laws took us to Ikea yesterday. Neither of them had ever been to Ikea before. This was... interesting.

Now, I've said it before, and I'm perfectly happy to say it again - I adore Ikea.
We picked up some basics - candles, batteries, a lovely giant glass mug, a frying pan (for a friend. I'd been biggin' up these pans to him. It's a wee non-stick frying pan, costs 99p, but is one of the best non-stick pans I've ever had.) etc.
We also got hold of a rather spiffy shelf unit for the kitchen. Not the one I wanted, but the one I wanted is not available online or in our local Ikea. So... (as I believe the young people say these days) whatevs. This one's pretty awesome. I was on the phone to Maegan last night, and Matt decided that, since I was busy, he'd just build it. He did a very good job, and it's currently sitting in the middle of our kitchen. He placed some loose apples, two loaves of bread, and a six-pack of Coke Zero on it. It looks rather show-home-ish.

And the in-laws bought us a fake-grass rug! Which is nice of them, because we could not have afforded 35 quid for it, as much as we love it.

Do you know what (of course you don't. If you knew what I was about to say, I'd worry for you, I really would.)? The rug makes almost everything more fun!
It makes everything feel like a picnic! Seriously, we ate dinner sitting on it, we unpacked shopping sitting on it... we even slept on it last night in the living room, and it felt like camping! I love camping, even if it is fake.

And we ate hotdogs and chips and meatballs, and all was good with the world. Post written, job done. The end.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:03 am, Blogger Nettie said...

I can't wait to have picnic in your loungeroom! lol

 
At 6:12 am, Blogger Shawna said...

I love you! :) You're silly like me, which is quite a fun way to be.

I also have never been to Ikea--never lived anywhere near one. (Dave's youngest older brother works for them, though.) Sounds like they have some neat stuff.

 
At 9:47 pm, Blogger Mouse said...

I'll have to bring Zeph round for an indoor picnic!

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

I must admit, the majority of stuff at Ikea gives me the heebie jeebies - I just can't handle that futuristis Jetson's type style. But on the otherhand they do have some really awesome stuff, mainly their gadjets and things. I got my apple corer and slicer there, my wall shelves and a few other knick knacks.
But I would never just furnish my entire house with Ikea stuff. I think it would end up resembling the Barbie mansion lol

 
At 8:56 pm, Blogger Acci said...

Now you need some plastic ants to go on the fake grass!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home