Sunday, February 12, 2012

Grownups

Matt and I have full-time jobs. We pay the rent and the bills. We have pensions and a savings account and bus passes. We donate to charity. We look after ourselves and our pets. And yet, there are a lot of people out there who would (and do) say we're immature.

Why?
Because we play computer games.
Because we are passionate about science fiction.
Because we have long and involved debates about fictional or hypothetical scenarios.
Because we buy toys.
Because (as Matt told me) every day is costume day to me.
And for myriad other reasons that make no sense.

Personally, I don't understand it. I mean, is a large part of maturity not learning who you are and being comfortable in your own skin? I think that with my thirties has come a better understanding of who I am, and an examination and embracing of all those weirdnesses that make up my personality.

I have also found myself being more publically and openly me. I'm not hiding my nerdishness, not trying to be seen as cool, not trying to be in with the 'in people', not wondering whether I maybe shouldn't say something or post something online because people will tell me it's stupid or immature or wrong.

So yeah, every day IS costume day. I'm not talking about underpants-on-the-outside type costumery, but more a work-appropriate outfit with a theme. Such as Victorian safari. Or witch. Or techno-futuristic. It's amazing what one can do with a basic outfit and some good accessorising.

And yes, today we went out to the supermarket intending to buy yoghurt and vegetables (see above re: taking care of ourselves). Instead, we bought yoghurt and vegetables and masses of reduced meat for freezing. And also a double-ended Darth Maul lightsaber. Because it's fucking awesome, that's why. (I cut the tape on the box using our axe. We're just that awesome.)

There were two noticable types of reactions from other shoppers. 1) A kind of I-also-am-a-nerd-and-I-approve nod or 2) A look of disgust.
I don't get it. In what way is this a thing that's worthy of disgust?

Yes, we're adults and yes, we're buying a lightsaber. We're not selling babies wrapped in dead kittens.

Fuck it. Matt and I are embracing our quirks. And it's marvellous.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:39 pm, Blogger Shawna said...

Screw the people who don't like you--there are lots of people who love you just the way you are (I'm one of them, by the way)! People like you are what make the world a fun place to live in, instead of a dreary, gray, blah-ness. I think the people who look at you in disgust are either very unhappy themselves, or else dementors in disguise. Thank you for being so amazing every day!

Also, hooray for lightsabers, and I *love* that XKCD cartoon!

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Awwww. Thank you, love. You are such a sweetheart!

Definitely Dementors. (Ha! Bagsy as a name for my band!)

The XKCD cartoon is our favourite ever. Because it IS our turn to decide what being a grownup means!

 
At 9:43 pm, Anonymous DavePrime said...

Pffft! Those giving disapproving stares are only jealous that THEY didn't grab a lightsaber for themselves FIRST!! ;-)

See, I'm (OMG!) 45. And yet i 'play' everyday. Even though Shawna and I have faced some pretty terrible and 'grown-up' issues of late, (Try writing letters saying ggodbye and giving away all of your stuff... o.O) but we make each other laugh every day, and are better people for it!

The World can be a cold, hard place. People like you, who try and warm up their own little corner of it are the reason aliens haven't wiped us all out by now. (You keep them so confused just with your grocery shopping they have no processing power left in their computers to plan world conquest!)

MY favorite XKCD? https://www.xkcd.com/695/

Makes me ..... Awwwwwwwwwww!

Captcha of the day
(Somehow appropriate: begrack!)

 
At 11:53 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

The other day I said to Christian 'I find your nerdiness so sexy' to which he replied 'You're weird. But I find your weirdness sexy'.

We're not winning any 'In Crowd' prizes either and trust me, I prefer it that way. We're unique and fun and enjoy life and that's way better than being a stodgy old bugger.

 
At 11:57 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Oh, I also have this
http://absolutecards.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1581
on a canvas print in my dining room.

 
At 10:39 am, Blogger Smerk said...

Nothing wrong at all with your lifestyle at all. You're proving that you're mature, responsible people, who know how to have fun, and don't hesitate to show it.

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

I have awesome friends. And that's because all of you are like us.
<3

 
At 5:40 am, Blogger Tah said...

"And also a double-ended Darth Maul lightsaber. Because it's fucking awesome, that's why. (I cut the tape on the box using our axe. We're just that awesome.)"

Ha ha ha. Love this line. It is awesome. You are awesome. Never sell out and conform with society! We love you like you are!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home