Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dinners last week.

Having no work at the moment leads to two things, culinarily. First, that I have to make use of food we already have, as we are poor just now, and can't really afford to buy much. Second, that I have more time to plan and cook the dinners, which is handy, because I want to stretch what we've got as far as I can.
So, I've been working with our stores.

Monday
Red pesto pasta with ham

Pasta in tomato pesto with shredded sliced ham.
Items bought for the meal: None.

Tuesday
Maharaja Curry

Recipe from here, with a few tweaks. I used a tin of tomatoes instead of peeling and deseeding my own, and I added an orange pepper and some mushrooms that needed using. I used half a pack of cheap chicken breasts we had in the freezer, and boiled up some dried noodles to go with it.
Items bought for the meal: None.

Wednesday
Stuffed mini peppers, baked chicken, and potato stir fry.

I stuffed mini sweet peppers with cheddar and cream cheese and then put them in the oven, along with the other half of the chicken breasts, which I'd covered with dry rub. For the stir-fry, I used a tin of potatoes, one of two leeks we had lying about, a red onion, some green beans, and a couple of cloves of garlic. For stir-fries, I generally use that spray-olive-oil - it means I use much less.
Items bought for the meal: Value cream cheese, 54p.

Thursday
Green pesto pasta with veggies and sausage.

I stir-fried the other leek, another red onion, some rinsed mushrooms from a jar, and half a garlic sausage. Added them to pasta with a jar of green pesto.
Items bought for the meal: None.

Friday
Spicy potato, mushroom and beans, beef 'steaks'.

Potatoes boiled in bite-size chunks, chopped green beans, and chopped mushrooms.
I heated a tablespoon and a half of olive oil in the wok, then added a large teaspoon each of cumin seeds, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne pepper and garlic to form a spicy paste. The potatoes, beans and mushrooms were tossed in this and then browned. The beef 'steaks' (made from reformed beef, so not as good as proper steaks) were baked in the oven.
Items bought for the meal: Fresh mushrooms, 24p.

Saturday
Roast beef and Yorkshire puddings.

A chunk of beef from the freezer, roasted. Pack of Yorkshire puddings, also from the freezer, baked. We made gravy from a tin of Royal Game soup, with a couple of teaspoons of beef gravy powder mixed in.
Items bought for the meal: None.

And here is a rather funny advert, which I think is meant to make me not want to cook but, in fact, has pretty much the opposite effect.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:17 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Due to the fact that I'm going to be severely reducing my hours soon I'm looking at ways to save money on the food we buy. I've been doing things already like buying diced chicken or beef for a stirfry and then adding heaps of veggies so I can make it last for two meals instead of just one dinner and Christian's lunch.
I also really need to make use of our freezer. Any meat we freeze just tends to stay in there until months after it's supposed to be taken out because I just forget it's there or forget to defrost it in time. I guess if I'm at home more often I'll have no excuses I guess.
Thanks for the ideas babe!

 
At 3:04 am, Blogger Shawna said...

I hear ya on having to save money on food! I've still got my fingers crossed that you'll get work soon.
*hugs*

 
At 5:05 am, Blogger Tah said...

Yummy sounding food. :-)

And love the advert. Pee-atches!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home