Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Royal Museum

Today, we visited the Royal Museum of Scotland for the last time before it closes for its years-long update. The entire Royal Museum section will be closed for at least three (probably more) years.

My siblings and I grew up with this museum. We've been regular visitors for as long as any of us can remember (speaking of which, watch out for Mouse's museum post - coming soon!), and we love the place. Matt has been a regular visitor since he and I met. So we're somewhat upset about not having it for the next while. Oh, we're sure that it'll be all high-tech and snazzy and cool once it's done, but even so...

So here are some pictures.


It was very busy, as you can see...
I love the main hall. It's so soaring and beautiful.

According to Mouse, they were originally going to get rid of the fish ponds totally. However, so many people complained that they're going to try and fit them into the new design.




One of the reasons for the upgrade is that some of the animals are somewhat shabby. Ok, there's no way I can argue with that... I adore them, but they really are dusty and moulting.


(Oooh, orbs!)






Duuuuuude!

I call the skeletal turtle 'Jim'. I'm not sure why.

Before I finish this post (it's long enough, I think), I'd like to tell you a little story regarding the crocodile below. Note that it isn't in a glass case like most other exhibits.
When I was a small child, someone (jokingly) said to me "Watch out! I think that crocodile just moved!" So, of course, I've always been scared of it. It still freaks me out, and that 'joke' must have been more than twenty years ago. A couple of years ago, I was at the museum, and heard a parent say to their small child "Oooh, did you see that? That crocodile just moved!" Cue small child freaking out, and the start of a life-long phobia. Nice to see the traditional family dynamics still work...

I'll leave it at that. Tomorrow I'll try to get the follow-up post up, full of fossils, netsuke, and... other stuff.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful :)

 
At 8:24 pm, Blogger hulitoons said...

Other than specific exhibits that need maintenance, are they going to raze this entire gorgeous structure? This is a beautiful piece of architecture and I am simply struck as to why such beauty has a need to be destroyed. hulitoons

 
At 8:48 pm, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Oh hey, no.
They're not knocking it down.
They're basically redoing the entire inside.
If they were intending to knock it down, believe me, there'd be a lot more (and way angrier) protests.

 
At 2:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The place reminds me of a train station, with the way it is built. Especially with the rats. And the crocodiles.

 
At 5:33 am, Blogger Nettie said...

Oh, that's sad. I loved being there with the scary clock.

 
At 3:08 am, Blogger Tah said...

So no real reason to go to Scotland for the next three (probably more) years then? ;-)

And "watch out" for MM's museum post? Sounds ominous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home