Friday, November 04, 2005

Age Gaps

There was a programme on TV last night about couples where the woman is much older than the man. It was ok. I spent half of it thinking 'So what, if they're happy?' and half thinking 'No! I DO NOT need to see them naked. I believe them when they say they have a lot of sex!' The second statement had nothing to do with their ages, I just didn't want to see them naked. Anyway, moving on.

There was one couple in which she was 49 and he was 21.
She had ten kids, six of which were older than him. Only two (aged 10 and 8) lived at home, suggesting that the other two were old enough to have moved out.
She has 18 grandchildren.

I could not get my head round this. Age 49, with 10 kids and 18 grandkids?
What. The. Hell?
I was just sitting on the sofa, mumbling calculations to myself.
And they want to try for a baby.
Breed early, breed often, I guess.

That is all. I had to note this to stop my head from exploding.

8 Comments:

At 1:30 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Did she have a couple of sets of twins or something? Coz I'm sure that is a physical impossiblity!

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger LaMa said...

Why is it impossible Nettie? There are many families who have 10-12 kids. Bunny comes from a family with 12 children.

 
At 2:40 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

Not the ten to 12 kids thing La, the fact that she is only 49, and from her ten kids she has so many grandchildren. She must have been constantly pregnant and then as soon as her kids reached puberty, they must have been pregnant as well or impregnating others!

 
At 11:00 am, Blogger LaMa said...

The 10 kids at 49 is no problem. If she started at age 20, it is one kid each 3 years. In reality, taking menopause in account, probably 1 kid every 2 years or so. 1 year pregnant, 1 year off, then again pregnant.

Starting at age 20 means her oldest child is 29. Four other kids could be producing grandchildren from a reasonable age (19-10). Say they repeat mamma's pattern: one child each 2 years. 29 year old kid could have 4-5 children that way. Second kid 3. Third kid 2 etc...

Of course, there could be 1 or 2 male children amongst them who are producing kids all around.

But you're right, it is quite a feat...

 
At 11:01 am, Blogger LaMa said...

The "10" in "(19-10)" is a typoe and should read 20.

Of course, they could have started earlier.

 
At 11:31 am, Blogger Nettie said...

You have given this waaay too much thought La. I think it's time to build a bridge and get over it.

 
At 11:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That programme was nasty, especially the guy who's partner was a pensioner, and he was in his 30's, uggghhh!

 
At 11:34 am, Blogger Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Since, as I said, they're hoping to try for a baby, I assume she hasn't reached menopause yet. But anyway, even thinking about it boggles my mind.
*boggledyboggledyboggledy*
Hear that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home