Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Littlest Hobo of Temping

There's a voice that keeps on calling me
Down the road is where I'll always be
Every stop I make, I'll make a new friend
Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again.
Maybe tomorrow, I'll want settle down,
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.


There are a lot of temps, I know, who are only doing it to get paid. For better or for worse, I can't do that. I get emotionally invested in my jobs, and the people and companies involved.

Whether that's because I have been lucky with my jobs, or whether it's because I'm just a people-pleaser, I don't know. But I like getting to know people, getting things to run smoothly, getting to be part of the team.

So, I was kinda upset that my posting at Pseudonym Radio Station ended this Friday. They had been going to employ a permanent member of staff through my agency, and I was hoping that I could go for the job. Thursday morning, as I was trying to recycle a giant cardboard box that had one of the presenters, giggling, in it (don't ask), I was called to the Head Honcho's office, where he told me that V., my closest new friend at work, was taking the job.

I spoke to V. afterwards, and she was upset for a few reasons.
1) She was told that there wasn't enough work for her to do, and she either had to absorb my job into hers or be laid off.
2) Her pay was not increasing.
3) By not being laid off, she was kicking me off the staff.

Sucks for both of us, really.
Anyway, I had a lot of hugs and "But... you can't go!" from people, which was nice.

I had to leave a note for the other close friend I had there, as her shift didn't start until 8.30pm.

In the end, I left her my chocolate bars, as I figured she'd need the sugar more than I would (the News team seem to survive on sugar and caffeine), and a note that started "By the time you read this, I shall be gone."
She's another big fan of Poirot, so I thought that would be apt.

I got a phone call from her at 8.45pm, with her saying "Why are you gone?" in a plaintive voice.

Still, at least no-one cried when I left, unlike my last placement at Pseudonym School, when both I and others did.

So, yeah. The Littlest Hobo of temping, that's me. Every stop I make, I'll make a new friend. Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again.

*sigh*

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 7:36 pm, Blogger Mouse said...

*hugs*

 
At 10:20 pm, Blogger LaMa said...

A pitty, as you obviously enjoyed it there * hugs *

 
At 11:39 pm, Blogger Nettie said...

*hugs*
Is the employment agency on the look out for permanent positions for you? Or are they just going to use you as a temp forever because it's useful?
I'm just worried that maybe your best interests aren't being looked after.

I think it's great though that you make new friends and take an interest in the people around you when you start at a new place. You've been there for a little while like at the school and it would be really hard to stay there over that time frame and just not care.

So do they have anywhere else lined up for you yet?

 
At 5:28 am, Blogger Tah said...

Sorry you had to leave. And I know (sort of) how you feel. I'm the same way about my jobs and the people I work with, though I've never been in a temp position.

Good luck on finding a position.

 
At 9:46 pm, Blogger NEO said...

I don't think I could move around from job to job like that, I would show up at the wrong place at the wrong time for the wrong job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home